Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to Homeschool: Record Keeping

No matter what method you choose, or what your state requires, record keeping is an important part of homeschooling. No one wants to rely solely on memory to keep track of what concepts have been introduced, especially over a long period of time or for multiple kids. Well, no one I've met anyway.
Since the home base for our homeschool journey is the Montessori Method, I chose that as a starting point for our record keeping. I made a simple checklist based on David Gettman's book Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives. This list will take you farther than that though because he described more than that in his book.
You can download my Montessori Skills Checklist.
I use it by marking a "P" for presented, "L" for learning when I see the child working on it and finally a "M" for mastered when the child can do the skill with little to no error.

No comments:

Post a Comment