Monday, September 14, 2009

How to Homeschool: Tutorial: Sandpaper Letters

Today I posted a tutorial for making sandpaper letters on Montessori From Scratch. In case you're not familiar with this montessori material here's a little about it.



Like most any other Montessori presentation, it is done in a 3 period lesson. Sandpaper letters, and numerals, serve several purposes. They are the tool used to introduce letters to the pupils. (In Montessori, children are taught the sound of the letter first.) While the children are being shown the letter, the presenter also demonstrates how to follow along the letter with the first 2 fingers - using the same movements as one does when writing the letter. This is an exercise in motor skills and it creates a muscle memory for when it comes time to write.
Tutorial Sandpaper Letters and Numerals

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I've never homeschooled...just have a 9-year-old that is my boyfriend's daughter that we have every other weekend. But the subject of homeschooling fascinates me and I've been wanting to work a homeschooling mom into one of my romance novels as the heroine. So I'm looking forward to more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! This craft looks really fun. I'm always on the lookout for things to do with the kiddos. I'm fairly new to the homeschooling scene, having just started with my 3rd grader last year, mid second grade. It's been such a positive experience.

    I hear you about the negative comments by the way... I've never personally had one, but if I ever do, I'm preparing myself to just chalk it up to their opinion... everyone's got one! lol

    Pleased to "meet" you, and hope you have a blessed day,
    LMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so so great I have to make these my son isn't homeshooled technically because he is just preschool aged but i am not getting him in school till kindergarten. I want him to be prepared tho to start school ya know!!

    ReplyDelete