Friday, September 18, 2009

Weekly Wrap-Up

image linked
Monday was a banner day. We started out with a very short writing skills session - just 1 trace and 1 writing of the days of the week. Then I introduced Montessori large number cards. The supplier I bought them from makes them out of wood, I don't know if that is standard or not. Next, I showed her a material I made. When I was at the Southeastern Homeschool Expo, I didn't have a great experience, but I did get to listen to the sales pitch for Math-U-See, which a lot of MHSers use. During that pitch, the presenter talked about a neighborhood of place values, each place having it's own house and only 9 fit into each one. So we used a combination of the 2 to talk about 4 place values and to practice making them and writing the numerals. She spent 2 hours on this and was reluctant to stop when it was time to get her siblings. She told me that night that it was the best school day ever. The next day was the heart-stopper, but she went on to work in a Hello Kitty Time & Money workbook. That night when she couldn't sleep, I let her write in her journal. All on her own, she practiced making a fancy font with serifs and swirly ends and changed pages to start writing a story. The first line is "i thenk i nou a FLAWr" I think I know a flower. Considering this is her first solo sentence writing attempt, and she's 5, I think it's wonderful. And I think I know what her journal writing assignment will be now. Wednesday was a sick day so we read books, both of us, she added "at Grandma's" to her story, and worked on reading CVC words in cursive. Thursday was another math day. We worked on addition and subtraction facts. I downloaded some things from The School Bell but I'm not sure how I feel about using them. I think I need to tweak it just a bit. Friday was a geometry day. We examined and compared our eyes in a mirror, talked about the shapes that make up our eyes, and a small bit about the workings of the eye. She drew her eye in her journal and wrote a few words about it. I presented constructive triangles box 1 and 2 and we did some of the geometric solids - sphere, cylinder, rectangular prism, cube, cone triangular prism. It's not hard to see that the maths are her favorite right now. I had planned on doing an apple week next week, but at the moment she's not so keen on that - we'll just have to see!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! Thanks for your post on my blog. Yes, we go on lots of field trips and I have posted about all of them. I will tell you that some of our favorites around Atlanta have been to the High Museum, Berry Patch Farms, Tellus Museum, and the Chattahoochee Nature Center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those heart-stopping comments. Thanks to my oldest having been in public school, my younger two have never wanted to go. I do, however, remember having similar conversations with my oldest. These days, she wouldn't trade homeschooling for anything. Hang in there, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy, those heart-stopping conversations. You handled it very well. It just makes you wonder "where did THAT come from??"

    http://crispy-not-crunchy.blogspot.com/2009/09/weekly-wrap-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my youngest wish to go to school, but most of the time it is just a wish for something different to do. They are interesting conversations tho! Glad that the rest of the week went well.

    www.homeschoolblogger.com/openmeadows

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great week! Happy SITS Saturday ShareFest!

    ReplyDelete